My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Sep 30, 2009

Digging Ditches

Teaching the Immersion in Boise was good - really lovely students. It was hard work for all of us - long hours and lots studentship. We were laborers - ditch diggers - working that intensive schedules. But I do have to admit, I loved it. I think I love hard work. I come from a long line of hard workers. I think that probably my ancestors were - and brothers and sisters are - only truly happy when working hard.

But just to keep things in perspective - I will say that I saw women in India actually doing the work of ditch digging -- truly hard work. Often they also had babies on their back, in slings, as they were bending their backs to the work of digging, using inefficient tools that looked like garden spades. Having seen that, I am careful not to think I am actually working as hard as a ditch digger. Thinking that would be an indulgence in bourgeois suffering for sure.

All the same, teaching all day and prepping during every break and every evening, for 5 or 6 days in a row is a piece of work - a push to get that ditch dug. Then, and this never fails to surprise and delight me, Blessing Force comes flowing into that ditch and a garden springs up. And so it has in Boise.

Annie took the lead and set up ongoing study sessions to lead up to the third Immersion, in April. Everyone is really motivated, truly on board. Anusara in Boise has finally set a good root and has started to blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment