My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Aug 16, 2008

Eye of the Tiger-ish

Yesterday was day 5 of our 21 day "Summer Mornings" Intensive. We are doing some variation or other of the "Eye of the Tiger" practice every Friday morning. This is a practice initiated by John Friend several years ago. The sequence I'm including here is NOT one of the classic Eye of the Tiger sequences ( I'll send those out another time). In my opinion there is nothing all that magical about the classic practices. They are - like this one - practices that include every class of pose, require you to really keep moving on through the asanas and take over 3 hours to complete. I have taught and practiced lots of Eye of the Tigers over time, and to be honest, I was not very excited about doing it this time. But people have been asking and I said "yes." I was surprised to find - to remember - that it is really a lot of fun. I practice along with the class rather than teach because if I teach it I keep wanting to, well, TEACH. I'll teach fine tuning and alignment which is great but we would not have moved through the 60+ poses in the sequence below.
So, we practiced the sequence below together. I definitely felt brighter and stronger after the practice. The room was warm - over 80 - and I was concerned that some of my students who don't do so well with heat would wilt in a hurry. But to tell you the truth, everybody did really well. About half of the people had to leave at 8:30 so I sequenced the practice to be a two part experience. Here you go!

Eye of the Tiger-ish Practice
7 - 8:30
Centering, Pranayama, Chanting
Standing Agni Sara and Nauli
Surya Namaskar
Utkatasana and Variations
Virabhadrasana I
Virabhadrasana II
Vira II Reversed
Parsvakonasana
Trikonasana
Ardha Chandrasana
Prasarita Padattonasana
Vasisthasana
Parsvotanasana
Viminasana (Vehicle of the gods / Vira III)
Parivrtta Trikonasana
Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (Standing Splits)
Ardha Matsyendrasana
Vrksasana
Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
Parivrtta Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
Natarajasana
Garudasana
(At 8:20 those who were staying did Sirsasana (headstand) SAlamba Sarvangasana (Soulderstand) Those who had to leave at 8:30 did Savasana)
8:30
Tip Toe Pose
Standing Eye of the Needle (to) Eka Pada Galavasana
Vrksasana (Handstand)
Pinca Mayurasana
Prasarita (to) Salamba Sirsasana II (to) Bakasana
Parsva Bakasana
Pigeon (to) Fire Log
Astavakrasana
Maricyasana III
Tittibhasana
Virasana
Supta Virasana
Eka Pada Rajakapotasana I & II
Salabhasana
Bhujangasana
Makarasana
Dhanurasana
Wild Thing
Ustrasana
Swimming Camel
Kapotasana
Setubandhasana (Bridge)
Urdhva Dhanurasana
Hannumanasana
Baddha Konasana
East Side Stretch (Purvotanasana)
Paschimottanasana
Salamba Sarvangasana
Halasana
Supta Padangusthasana
Jathara Parivartanasana
Savasana

No comments:

Post a Comment