My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Jan 29, 2020

Sunlight Matters



I have been sitting in front of my new sunlight lamp every morning while I study.  I LOVE it. 

Winter darkness hit me harder this year. I don’t know why. I’ve always been one to boast that I am not affected by “bad” weather, and that I could manage my inner weather with diet, exercise, etc. But oh how the mighty boasters are brought low (that’d be me). This winter, with the dimming of the light and the endless days of rain/ snow and heavy overcast, my interior weather followed suit. I was feeling socked in, weighed down by a heavy inner-overcast and a diminishing interest in “the day ahead” whatever the day ahead had in store for me. And I was so tired. I started asking people I admire, “do you get tired”? trying to figure out if being tired was my new “normal”.  I felt an increasing mental “bias for the negative” in general and even though I avoided watching the news,  just thinking about the news depressed me.
In an effort to regain some energy and outlook and sunny days inwardly, I did all the “right things”. I mean I continued to exercise, eat well, meditate and do Yoga. And I continued to do the “right things” in moderation – not succumbing to O.C.D. overdoing.  I continued to have a good life, good relationships and good work. But you know what? Turns out that for me –this year more than usual - Sunlight matters. And since I don’t plan to be a snowbird and spend half the year in “name sunny place”, I purchased a sunlight lamp. I have been sitting in front of it every morning, before 9 am as recommended. I sit for about an hour while I study.  I LOVE it.  I noticed the effects within 2 days.

What is a sun lamp?
A sun lamp, or light therapy box, is a special light that mimics natural outdoor light. Light therapy, also sometimes called bright light therapy, is an effective treatment for seasonal affect disorder (SAD).
Studies show that light from a sun lamp can have a positive impact on serotonin and melatonin, improve sleep and wake cycles, restore circadian rhythms for improved sleep. reduce anxiety and improve mood.
A sun lamp is most used to treat SAD, but light therapy is also used to treat other conditions, including chronic pain and dementia
SAD is a type of depression that begins and ends at around the same time every year when days become shorter. People who live far north of the equator are considerably more susceptible than those who live in sunnier climates. SAD can cause debilitating symptoms, such as feeling depressed most of the day, low energy, oversleeping and weight gain. Sitting in front of a sun lamp within the first hour of waking up every day can improve symptoms of SAD within a few days to a few weeks.
Results may be seen as quickly as 20 minutes into the first session. Since light therapy works quickly and with minimal side effects, it’s often the first line of treatment for SAD, rather than antidepressants.

No comments:

Post a Comment