My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Feb 8, 2019

Tuesday (Spokane) to Saturday (India)

India Notes
The trip from Spokane to India is really a marathon.  Arriving here I felt lousy and so happy. India is incredible. It is also amazing to basically be forced to let go of concern with "what time is it really" and "am I going to get enough sleep" and "how in the world am I going to make my hair look less scary" and so on. I just have to let it go, give it up to Jesus...or Shiva or any number of forms and faces of the Sacred here in India. As an example of all those forms and faces, at the Chennai airport there were about 40 statues and images of gods and goddesses - to welcome us!! India -at least the part I am in at the moment - is un-ashamedly devoted to God. 

Getting out of Chennai was a wild ride. The flow of traffic here is crazy. They do believe in God but not in traffic lanes. So the cars and buses and rickshaws and cows and scooters and people walking just flow around each other like a crazy, wild dance. I am glad I was not driving during that dance. 
On the drive, all my senses welcomed me back to India: the early morning smell of burning garbage that the women sweep up and burn each day mixed with the scent of spices and jasmine; the taste of the air - smog mixed with mist; vivid colors of painted buildings ( so much brighter than our conservative house colors) and beautiful saris and fabrics on even the lowest caste woman plus the bright orange garments of sadhus. The feel of very warm and humid air and my already sticky sweaty skin and clothes; and of course the sounds! Horns and birds and the chanting of the names of God all day long, coming from various temples and mosques.  
The extremes are so visible and woven together in a fabric that is India to me. 
OK. More to come. But not right this minute. 




No comments:

Post a Comment