My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Feb 18, 2019

Rajasthani -OMG Beauty

I am in the Rajasthan province, in the city of Udaipur, and all 5 of my senses are being swelled full to overflowing with beauty.
Our friend, Narasimha, who helped us plan this trip, is an artist  and a great lover of beauty. He emphasized that we must must MUST go to Rajasthani and see the beauty  India. If you read the last few posts you read my reluctance to leave Treveni Ashram and Ananda ashram. There was beauty in those places - but it was mostly a kind inner beauty evoked through the rituals, practices and chanting.

But beauty, as I perceive it through my five senses, was not the main attraction. For example, at Ananda Ashram we were in a small cement block room with bunks on which were plastic mattresses. We had to keep the room closed up so as to keep the mosquitoes out. And it was extremely hot and humid so walking into our gray cement block cell was like walking into a sauna. No complaints. I loved every minute that we spent at the ashram but did not exactly rush to spend more time in the cement sauna and would not call it a peak experience of great outer beauty :-). And while, if I had to choose, I would choose to cultivate and open the world of inner beauty, I am so grateful that I don't have to choose. Being here in Rajasthan reminds me that life is meant to be beautiful, meant to be enjoyed. It's all God after all.

Here I am staying in a room with ornate wood carvings, a stained glass peacock design window, rich deep red curtains.....like that.  And that is nothing compared to the world outside my room! I don't even know where to begin to try to describe the beauty here. The architecture is exquisite. The food makes me practically burst into tears of gratitude...so many complex spices make a fiesta in my mouth. The people are beautiful and dress in gorgeous colorful designs including mirrored fabrics (You know the kind? Mirrors are embroidered into the fabric).

Udaipur is a city known for his art and it's artists.  And art is everywhere. Beauty.
OK.... I know pictures are worth more words, even up to a thousand. More beauty pictures soon....thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment