My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Nov 2, 2015

Bring the Light

-->
3 Teaching from Yoga
·      Balanced Action generates a current of prana
·      I don’t see the works as it is, but as I am
·      As I see the world I create the world
(Prana is the yoga tradition’s word for life energy. I think of and experience prana as liquid light – or light mixed with love.)   

I try to remember to pray – before I get out of bed or even open my eyes. My prayer doesn’t have words so much as a feeling or wish that I can do my day in such a way that I generate a steady, bright current of prana inwardly…so that I might see more prana in the world (more light; more love)… so that I might create the world as I see it, a world with more light and more love.

Then I get out of bed and have a cuppa and sit and enjoy the quiet. And then I meditate and practice pranayama.

I love love love to begin my day the way Yoga asks me to begin my day - by making of myself a deep gravity well of listening. Start in stillness. Meditate. Become like the moon listening to the sun. When I do this, the generosity of the sun and the softer more liquid light of the moon, begin to shine more fully in every cell and atom.

By listening in this way, I can also bring balanced action into my day. I take my work orders for the day from the big boss. S(he) is a wonderful boss - the best. I sit down with this Maha-Manager, we close our eyes and wait and listen and I allow the work orders of my day to arise from a still point within.

When I skip my morning practice - because I am sooooo busy - I usually make plans that are too small. and my work day becomes driven by a crowd of mean little Mafioso.

But the Big Boss is generous and gentle - as generous as the sun and as gentle as the moon.  S(he) has a much nicer work day in mind for me and gives me unexpected bonuses of serendipity, surprise, spontaneity and synchronicity. She makes sure I have plenty of time for lunch and even a nap. And s(he) likes to make sure I quit on time – or even knock off early - so I can go outside and play or relax on the couch with my sweetheart.  S(he) is the Best Boss ever.  

I trust the principles of alignment which guide my Yoga practice to help me move through my day in a way that generates a steady current – no brown outs, intermittent power surges or power losses. Whatever I am doing – dishes or computer or teaching -  I try to remember (and I do forget regularly, but I do know how to begin again) to do things in this order:
1.     Soften and Ground. Breathe. First Principle first: come home to the Bright Middle between Heaven and Earth.
2.     Engage Balanced Action – the play between Muscular Energy (stabilizing, firming, integrating) and Organic Energy (opening, expanding, spacious).

Both #1 and #2 are Balanced Action, which generates a steady current of prana.

Balanced Action is Yoga: a generation of Light and Love that happens if you stay in place long enough to hold two poles that are contradictory complements (like inhale and exhale; firmness and suppleness; listening and expressing) in proximity to one another until a current begins to flow more brightly in body, heart and mind. It is an alive technology that both turns on light and grounds the current.

There is a weighty responsibility to having access to Yoga and a knowledge of how to turn on light. I do not see the world as it is, but as I am. I will see the world through a brightening lens – or through a glass darkly. And as I SEE the world, I CREATE the world. My center opens to every center. My heart opens to every heart. (Truly both mysticism and physics, this).

Don’t curse the darkness. Bring the light.
Maharshi


No comments:

Post a Comment