My photo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, United States
Karen is a yogini, writer, student, teacher and meditator. She founded Garden Street School of Yoga in 2000. Karen lives with her husband Chris. They have two amazing sons, Eli and Leo (both of them young men).

Dec 31, 2009

Blue Moon Happiness

Today was a great day..... My Blue Moon - Full Moon - New Year's Eve was full of ordinary, mundane happiness.

Chris and I started early with meditation as usual. Then he was off to work at Gonzaga and I had a really nice asana practice. Afterwards I worked for several hours preparing for the Advanced Immersion which begins on Saturday.

Mid-day, Raphael from across the street rang our doorbell. He and his large extended family moved here about a year ago. They are the most friendly neighbors I have ever known. I mean, they actually cross the street and ring the doorbell........ without even being missionaries! Instead of the gospel they bring us Mexican delicacies.

So - anyway, Raphael and a few of his grandsons rang the door bell and gifted us with Rum Cake. As always, I got a blast of shakti from their friendliness. And, as always when I see them, I determine that I must become a better neighbor. I don't hold a candle to them when it comes to sheer good will and neighborliness. I always get lost in workspace instead. But they keep teaching me - by example - so there's hope. I am inspired to try once again.

In the afternoon, after just a tiny sliver of rum cake, I had a great swim. I swam longer than usual and I was sort of blissed out at the end.....it must have been the rum.

When Chris and I both got home we made a meal of veggie stew and sauteed cabbage. I know it sound disgusting but it was SO DELICIOUS.

I sort of wish, from time to time, that I was a better party- goer and could go dancing or something BIG to bring in the new year. But really I don't like to do BIG things on my off-time. My work life always seems kind of BIG so being home and mellow is a my favorite thing. And really it's better that way, since ordinary, mundane happiness, like Raphael and family, comes around more easily and more often than a Blue Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment